Food business idea: Mango Chutney, is a specialty of the South Indian coastal state of Andhra Pradesh. Mango chutney can be made in many different ways. Chutney is a tasty sauce, and can be served with poppadoms or with the main course.
This set of ingredients creates the Sweet n Sour Mango Chutney.
6 firm under-ripe mangoes, cubed
250ml (1 cup) cider vinegar
200g (1 cup) light brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion (½ cup), finely chopped
1½ tbsp. fresh ginger, scraped and finely chopped
2 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Dissolve the sugar and salt in the vinegar and boil for 15 minutes.
2. Add mangoes, raisins and onion and bring to the boil again.
3. Reduce the heat to low, simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
4. Add the garlic, ginger and seasoning and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.
Due to the high sugar and acid content, this chutney may be refrigerated safely for 6 months.
This set of ingredients creates the Spicy Mango Chutney.
1 large raw (unripe) mango, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
2 tsp mustard seeds
3 tbsp vegetable oil (e.v. olive oil works)
½ tsp asafoetida (“Heengh” in Hindi, “Perungayum” in Tamil)
3-4 dry red chillies
2-3 green chillies (you can add more if you want it spicier)
1 tsp lime juice (if mango is not sour enough)
1 tsp turmeric powder
¾ tbsp salt (adjust to taste)
Procedure for Type 1
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, green chillies and red-chillies. Wait till the mustard seeds splutter and remove pan from stove.
3. Grind the above mix with mango, lime juice (if needed) turmeric and salt
Notes, tips, and variations
– Serve with hot rice or bread
– Works as an excellent spread on a sandwich
– If it is not too spicy then you can serve it as a dip for tortilla chips
– You could also serve with yoghurt/curd
– Typically presented in restaurants in a steel dish with a spoon for serving ones self
– Vary amount of salt/spices as needed.
Corom Chatni — Fresh mango chutney with hot chillies
Am ki Chatni — Mango and coconut chutney