Fish quekiam or kikiam is a delicacy which originated from the Chinese, this food is ready to be served after steaming, fresh from the cans or fried before serving (Embotido style). It can be served with soy sauce and kalamansi.
Fish, filleted and chopped
1/2 cup chopped shrimps
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup singkamas, in small cubes
1/2-3/4 tbsp refined salt
11/2 tsp white pepper
3 tbsp cornstarch
Vegetable oil (to grease cans) 1 tsp /can
1. Blend all ingredients thoroughly and fill into oil-greased cans (C-enameled type, 307×201 25)
2. Exhaust cans by heating over steam to an internal temperature of 82oC (180 F) for twenty (20) minutes
3. Seal tightly and process in a pressure cooker at 15 psig and 250o F for 45 minutes.
4. Cool, dry, label and store properly the cans.
5. When making Kalaso Quekiam, wrap the blended mixture in “taope” (approximately 3 cm. dia. and 14 cm. long) and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown prior to canning.
Source: Technology developed by: ITDI (DOST)