Mango jam is a sugar concentrated product similar to jelly. Both the green and ripe mangoes can be used or making jam. Making homemade mango jam is a good business idea for anyone. It can be a good source of additional income if you know how to market the product. You can sell it to your friends, neighbors, offices, restaurants, food shops and even during food bazaar events.
10 kg. ripe or green mangoes
1/2 kg. refined sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid
stainless knife, ladle, basin, measuring cup/spoon,
1. Wash mangoes thoroughly to remove dirt.
2. Slice into tidbits
3. Scoop the flesh using a spoon.
4. Scrape the pulp from the seeds using a knife. Mash with a fork. Measure.
5. Add an equal amount of sugar. Mix well.
6. Cook. Stir constantly.
7. Add 0.3% citric acid (1 and 1/2 tsp. for over 4 and 1/4 cups of mango pulp) when almost thick.
8. Continue cooking until temperature reaches 105oC.
9. Pour hot jam in sterilized jars and leave 1/4 inch head space.
10. Cover tightly. Cool.
Source: Agricultural Training Institute (ATI)
Department of Science and Technology. Basic Methods in Mango Processing.
For more information, please write or call:
Agricultural Knowledge Management Division
AGRICULTURAL TRAINING INSTITUTE
ATI Bldg., Elliptical Rd., Diliman, Quezon City
Trunkline: (63-2) 929-8541 to 49
Fax Number: (63-2) 926-4623