Squash or Kalabasa in Filipino is generally used as vegetable in cooking. But now, through a simple food processing technique, kalabasa can now be made into a delightful treat served after meals.
Kalabasa Leche Flan
For every cup of mashed kalabasa.
1 cup condensed milk
1 whole egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 heaping teaspoon brown sugar to be caramelized
1. Peel the kalabasa and boil for 20 minutes. Mash thoroughly using a fork.
2. Combine the mashed mixture, milk, egg and vanilla. Set aside.
3. Caramelize the brown sugar and line the pan mold.
4. Pour the mixture into the lined pan mold and cover with aluminum foil or plastic.
5. Steam in hot water (double boiler) for 25 minutes or until done.
6. Chill and serve.
Source: Philippine Farmers’ Journal June 1982