Corned beef is more popular than Corned Pork. However, the curing procedure and ingredients are similar. Small scale or home made corned beef or corned pork is divided into two distinct steps: curing of the meat; and cooking of the cured meat.
1 kg Pork lean meat, cubed (1″ x 1/2″)
1 Tablespoon Salt, refined (15.5g)
1 teaspoon Curing salt (3.9g)
1 ¼ Tablespoon Sugar, refined (13.75g)
1 teaspoon Phosphate (3g)
1 ¼ teaspoon Vitamin C powder (0.75g)
1 cup Water, chilled
1 tsp Nutmeg (2g)
1 tsp Corned beef seasoning (2.8g)
1 tsp Garlic powder (2.3g)
1/2 tsp MSG (add after flaking) -(2g)
2 tbsp Trimix* (after cooking) -(12.6g)
1 tsp Carageenan (3g)
2 cups Water, chilled
* Add after flaking.
** For every 300 grams broth, add 2 Tablespoon Trimix and 1 teaspoon carageenan previously dissolved in ¼ cup water and boil until it thickens. Add it to 700 grams flaked lean meat to make a 1000-gram product.
NOTE: Remove liquid after curing
1. Select good quality materials.
2. Cube the meat into 1 x % inch
3. Prepare the cover pickle (40° salinity).
4. Immerse the raw materials into the cover pickle.
5. Cure at room temperature for 8 to 10 hours or refrigerate (34°-36°F) for 1 to 2 days.
6. Cook in pressure cooker for 45 to 60 minutes at 15 psi or in open fire for 4 to 6 hours. Mix the cooking ingredients with 2 cups water.
7. Flake. Separate lean from stock (sabaw).
8. Pack in polyethylene bags and keep in freezer.
source: DA-ATI, ITCPH-Lipa