There are different kinds of ham prepared in the Philippines in various ways like Chinese style ham, American ham, quick-cured ham or sweet ham, chicken ham, rolled ham and mini chicken ham.
Lourdes S. Rivera, the Guru of Meat Processing in the Philippines is introducing a new type of healthy ham with soy protein named star ham.
Homemade Star Ham
700 gms Pork pique, boneless, skinless ground coarsely
300 gms Pork backfat ground coarsely
Star Ham Ingredients
1 tbsp. Salt refined
1/2 tsp. Curing salt
1 tbsp. Phosphate
1/4 tsp. Vitamin C powder
1/2 cup Chilled water
*To dissolve the above ingredients
1 tbsp. Isolate
1 tsp. Carageenan
1/2 tsp. Prop Plus
1/4 cup Chilled water
2 1/4 tbsp. Sugar, refined
1/2 tsp. Meat enhancer
1/2 tsp. Vetsin (MSG)
1 tsp. Cinnamon powder
1 tbsp. Ham spice
1 tsp. BF Blend
1. Chill meat and backfat before grinding. Grind pork and backfat using a coarse plate.
2. Measure or weigh all the ingredients. Mix meat with backfat and mix with curing mix until tacky. Add hydrated extenders little by little until well blended. Finally add the seasonings. Mix well.
3. Put this mixture in ham molder and steam for 1 hour. Cool.
4. Remove ham from mould package (pear shaped or star shaped).
5. Caramelize with brown sugar. Cool. Package.
Yield: 1.0 kg
Source: MARID, 2007, Lourdes Rivera