Pork tocino also called sweet cured pork is a yummy dish perfect for the whole family. It is made by marinating it with salt, sugar, and saltpeter. Pineapple juice can also be added for a slightly tart flavor. It’s easy to make and prepare that’s why pork tocino is also a popular breakfast viand or snack baon among students and office workers. You can sell it to your neighbors, friends and distribute it to other stores and food markets. Making pork tocino at home is a good way to make an extra income for your family. Below are some ways on how to make your own home-style pork tocino.
1kg. Pork pigue or kasim, with or without skin. Boneless, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tbsps. salt
5-8 tbsps. sugar
1 tbsp. rhum or gin
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. prague powder
1 tsp. vetsin (optional)
1/2 Tablet ascorbic acid (250 mg)
1. Slice meat to about 0.63 cm (1/4 inch) thick.
2. Mix all above ingredients for curing.
3. Rub the mixture on both sides of the slices and re-mix all to allow even distribution of curing mixture.
4. Arrange the pieces in a bowl and cover.
5. Keep at room temperature for 12 hours or in the refrigerator for 3 days to cure (the slices may be dried under the sun after curing to prolong shelf life).
Polyethylene bags: Size – 6″ x 12″; Thickness – 0.003
Styrofoam, rectangular in shape with cling on top
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons rock salt
5 tablespoons brown sugar
pinch of prague powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon local white vinegar
1/1 kilo pork picnic (kasim), sliced
1 In a bowl, mix garlic, salt, brown sugar, prague powder, pepper, and vinegar; stir well.
2 Add sliced pork kasim. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Substitution tip: Deboned chicken thighs are great for this recipe too.
Homemade Pork Tocino
2 lbs. of pork/pork chops or red loin with fat, sliced into 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons of anise wine
2 tablespoon of annatto water
2 tablespoon of salt
2 tablespoon cooking oil
4 tablespoon of sugar
1/8 teaspoon of of prague powder #1 (aka curing salt or pink salt)
1. Combine all the ingredients in a shallow pan except for the pork.
2. Sprinkle the mixture onto the pork and make sure that it is distributed evenly.
3. Pile the pork inside a container with a cover and keep refrigerated for about 3 days to cure the pork.
4. To cook, just put a little water in a skillet and add the pork and fry it until done.
Buy all the ingredients at:
Ultima Entrepinoy Forum Center
Nutrition Foundation of the Philippines Bldg.
#107 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City
Tel: 411-1349; 742-0826; 742-7866
Search terms: pork tocino recipe, how to make pork tocino, how to make homemade pork tocino, recipe of tocino, tocino recipe for business, how to make tocino pork, how to make pork tocino recipe, how to make tocino without salitre, tocino recipes, how to make tocino recipe