Homemade Sugar Apple Nectar
Fruit nectars are not filtered after pulping and contain at least 30% fruit solids. They contain no additives.
Processing of Sugar Apple Nectar
Choose only ripe fruits which are free from insect damage and signs of deterioration.
Ingredients for 1 kg sugar apple pulp:
370 g sugar
1 g citric acid
1. Cut fruits into pieces.
2. Scrape the pulp from the skin.
3. Extract the seeds.
4. Add 2.5 l water, 370 g sugar and 1 g citric acid per kg of pulp and mix thoroughly.
5. Boil mixture for 3 minutes at 70ºC.
6. Fill pre-sterilised bottles with hot nectar by using either jug and funnel or stainless steel bucket with an outlet tap.
7. Crown cork bottles.
8. Pasteurise sealed bottles at 95ºC for 10-20 minutes.
9. Cool bottles to room temperature by immersing in cool water.
Source: Technical Manual for Small-Scale Fruit Processors © 2004 International Centre for Underutilised Crops, UK