How to Make Dehydrated Carrot
Carrot is rich in Vitamins A and C. It is good to store it during its abundance so as to make it available during scarcity.
* Carrots — mature, bright colored, fresh
* Starch flour 4 tbsp. in 4 cups water (stir continually while heating)
* Plastic bags
1. Wash carrots very well, slice into 4 x 10 x 10 mm. sizes.
2. Arrange on a sinamay or nylon cloth and dip in boiling water for 3 minutes.
3. Dip the carrots in the cooked starch for one minute.
4. Drain and arrange on a tray.
5. Dry in the oven at 60°C-65°C for 7-8 hours or under the sun until no juice can be extracted when pressed. If the carrots will be dried in the sun, do not expose them directly. Put them inside a box with holes at the 4 sides. Cover the top of the box with black or dark cloth or plastic sheet.
6. When dried, pack in plastic bags and seal.
7. To reuse soak 1/4 cup carrots in a cup of warm water for half an hour.
8. Cook in the usual way like fresh carrots.
Source: FNRI, Oct. 1989 Reprint