Kare-Kare – Oxtail and vegetables in peanut sauce
1 pack (1.5 – 2 lbs.) ox tail
6 cups water
1/2 cup annatto seeds for coloring
3 pcs eggplants
1 lb string beans
1 banana blossom
1 head garlic, chopped
1 onion sliced
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup ground peanuts
1 cup toasted ground rice
1. Boil the ox tail in water until tender.
2. Soak annatto seeds in 1/2 cup water, set aside. Rub the seeds if necessary to bring out color.
3. Cut string beans in 3-in lengths.
4. Cut eggplants diagonally, .5-in thick.
5. Cut banana blossoms diagonally, .5-in. thick.
6. Parboil string beans, eggplants and banana blossoms, set aside.
7. Saute garlic and onions in cooking oil.
8. Take out the annatto seeds and pour the water and boil for 5 mins.
9. Blend in ground peanuts and ground rice.
10. Bring to a boil then put in the ox tail.
11. Add the vegetables.
12. Add more water if needed to have enough sauce; sauce should be thick and not watery.
13. Add fish sauce to taste.
14. Serve with steamed rice and shrimp paste (bagoong) on the side.
Retrieved from “http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=Cookbook:Oxtail_and_Vegetables_in_Peanut_Sauce_(Kare-Kare)&oldid=2685494”
Photo credit: takaokun