Smoked fish or tinapa is a style of fish preservation wherein the fish are cured by smoking. The smoking of fish is generally done for the unique taste and flavour imparted by the smoking process. Because of its unique taste, making smoked fish or tinapa at home is also an ideal business to start. You can make different variants of smoked fish.
1 kilo tamban or galunggong
1. Cut the fish along the back just above the backbone to split it open leaving the belly solid.
2. Remove all internal organs and blood.
3. Make another cut under the backbone.
4. Wash well and soak for 30 minutes in a solution of 1/2 cup salt and 4 cups water.
5. Place the fish in a coarsely woven basket and dip in boiling 10% salt solution (approximately 6 tbsp salt for every 4 cups water until the eyes turn white)
6. Arrange fish in smoking trays and drain for 10 minutes.
7. Partially dry fish in cool, shady place for about 3 hours before smoking.
8. Smoke fish at 32-38oC for 1-2 hours or until golden brown in color.
9. Cool smoked fish for a while and brush with vegetable oil.
Source: NSTA Compendium of Transferrable/Commerciable Technologies ITDI (DOST)
Related Video from Youtube- Watch it!:
Search terms: how to make tinapa, how to make tinapang isda, tinapa making, how to make tinapang galunggong, tinapa making process, how to make tinapa fish, how to make tinapa at home, tinapang galunggong, tinapa, how to make a tinapa