Food business idea: BLT Sandwich
The bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, commonly referred to as the BLT, is a classic sandwich that can be found almost everywhere.
bacon, sliced in rashers
lettuce, washed and shredded, torn, or in whole leaves
ripe tomato, sliced into thin disks
two slices of any type of bread
sandwich spread or condiments (e.g., butter, margarine, mayonnaise, cream cheese, or mustard, although mayonnaise is traditional)
ground black pepper, if desired
1. Toast the two slices of bread.
2. While the bread is toasting broil or fry the bacon until crisp, taking care not to burn it.
3. Once the toasted bread is ready, spread with desired condiments.
4. Layer one slice of toast with the lettuce, tomato slices, and bacon. Add black pepper as desired. Top with other slice of toast.
5. Cut into triangles or halves as preferred. Serve immediately.
Notes, tips, and variations
– The lettuce, if shredded, may be mixed with the mayonnaise before layering the toast.
– The lettuce may be omitted, or another green substituted. Watercress is a nice addition.
– You may add slivers of ripe avocado or raw or cooked red onion to the sandwich, or may substitute them for the lettuce or tomato.
– You may top the hot bacon in the sandwich with a slice of cheese, such as cheddar, American, muenster, or pepper jack, or use it to replace the tomato (a sandwich prepared in this way is called a BLC sandwich, for “bacon, lettuce, and cheese.”)
– You may place a fried egg in the sandwich. If the egg is fried over-easy or sunny-side-up, the egg’s yolk may be broken just before serving so that it dresses the contents of the sandwich.
– The slices of bread do not need to be toasted, although toast adds a nice texture.
– You may spread the bread with peanut butter for an interesting variation.
– You may top the sandwich or its contents with hollandaise sauce.
– Add ham, turkey and Swiss cheese for a BLT club sandwich.
– For a vegan variation on the BLT, use marinated and fried or grilled strips of tempeh to substitute for the bacon. Vegetable protein-based false bacon products are also available in some grocery freezers. Use mayonnaise, a vegan mayonnaise substitute, in place of the mayo.
– A BLT sandwich can also be served on a (non-toasted) hot dog bun or larger variation thereof (although in this case the bacon, lettuce, and tomato should all be shredded.)
Take care when frying the bacon to avoid a grease fire. (Should one occur, do not douse the flames with water, as this will cause the fire to spread; instead, cover the pan tightly or heap with baking soda to smother the flames, and remove from the heat.)