Tofu or tokwa, also known as bean curd, is a food made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks.
Bean Curd (Tokwa)
1 cup soybeans
1 teaspoon vinegar
1. Soak the beans in water overnight. Change water several times and remove floating grains.
2. Wash, grind the soybeans. Add about 6 cups water for every cup of beans while grinding.
3. Boil the ground beans in water for ½ hour while stirring.
4. Strain in muslin cloth.
5. Mix in well a teaspoon of vinegar.
6. Wrap in cloth the curdled soybean.
7. Remove the express water by putting weight on top of it.
The curdled tokwa can be a substitute for meat.
Source: The Philippines Recommends PCARRD 1991