Nata de kalabasa (squash), a nata made of squash, is another way of producing healthy nata because it is rich in Vitamin A, phosphorous, calcium and minerals.
Nata de Kalabasa
Kalabasa peels and core Sugar
Glacial acetic acid
Nata starter (available at ITDI)
1. Wash the peels and core of kalabasa, add 3 parts water for every part of peel/core. Boil for 3 minutes
2. Strain then for every 4 cups of strained liquid from boiled peels/core, and 2/3 cup sugar and 1 ¼ tsp ammonium sulfate.
3. Heat for 15 minutes, then cool. Add 1 1/4 tsp acetic acid to adjust the acidity favorable to the growth of the nata organism then add 2/3 cup of nata starter (available at ITDI) for every 4 cups of kalabasa mixture.
4. Set aside for 10-15 days, then harvest the nata product.
5. Cook one kilo of nata in one of kilo sugar to come up with delightful dessert.
Source: ITDI (DOST)