Whether you are aiming for an outdoor fabric to reupholster patio furniture or want to make an easy and no-sew patio pillow, you need a material that is specifically for outdoor use. Before you pick up any material for outdoor cushion covers, you have to know more about it. Before you naively order anything online or just pick up material just because you like the look of it, you have to get smart and do your necessary research. You have to figure out what you exactly need before you can shop for the covers.
Aim for the olefin outdoor fabric:
Even though pretty new in this field of outdoor fabric, but this Olefin fabric is a great choice for those manufacturing cushion covers. It comes mingled with polypropylene yarns.
- Olefin is noted as a byproduct of the refining petroleum and is quite durable and stain-resistant in nature.
- It came in handy with acrylic and was noted to be extremely resistant to fading from the sun.
- Most of the fabrics on the market will be acrylic, polyester, or Olefin.
- Polyester fabrics will be the worst among the lot because of their low lightfastness rating and will need a PFC chemical finish for that perfect stain resistance.
- The two major fibers for the outdoor cushion covers will be solution-dyed acrylic and solution-dyed Olefin.
Solution-dyed acrylic outdoor fabrics:
Acrylic fabrics are mainly noted as synthetic fabrics, which are made using acrylic fibers. This outdoor fabric is noted for so many advantages, including mildew-resistant properties, lower specific gravity, and the ability to manage moisture.
- You can enjoy higher lightfastness and UV scores, which is around 2000 hours of lightfastness with this material.
- Then you have mildew-resistant properties with the same, which is why more and more people are into this fabric.
- You also have a multiple use application with this fabric. So, not just for manufacturing cushion covers, but you can make drapes and curtains from this same material.
- You can further enjoy some liquid resistant properties with this fabric. It comes with a satin finish as well.
Other options for you:
If you don’t want any of these two fabrics for making outdoor cushion covers, you can look for the other variations available in the market. You have outdoor polyester and prints for the same. Most widely used on season outdoor goods, these fabrics will be the lowest performing fabric option. This form of fabric will have a lightfastness score of not higher than 1000 hours. Unlike the Olefin and dyed acrylic fabric, this one is batch-dyed.
Ask experts for some help:
If you don’t know which fabric to choose, be sure to ask the online experts or professionals for some advice. As they are working with outdoor fabrics for a long time, you can expect to get the best advice from their sides. They will offer you top-notch quality materials designed to last for a long time. Those fabrics are noted for their varied prints and patterns too!