Garlic (Allium sativum) is a perennial herb that originally came from central Asia, and is now grown throughout the world. Garlic has been used for both culinary and medicinal purposes in many cultures for thousands of years. Garlic is widely used in culinary for its pungent, spicy flavor as a seasoning or condiment. Garlic may be applied to breads to create a variety of classic dishes, such as garlic bread or garlic toast.
Garlic Enriched Polvoron
1 Kg. flour
1 Kg. skim milk
1 Kg. butter
1 tbsp garlic powder
1. Sift dry ingredients together.
2. Cook until light brown in color.
3. Melt the butter.
4. Add the butter until equally mixed with other ingredients.
5. Mold and wrap with colored cellophane.
Sliced Ilocos garlic
1. Fry until light brown in color.
2. Spread in a tissue paper until cold and packed.
Garlic Enriched Miki Noodles
1 kg all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 cups of water
1. Sift and mix dry ingredients together.
2. Prepare the dough.
3. Slice the dough into the desired size.
4. Knead the dough or roll-in.
5. Cut the noodles using a machine.
6. Let it dry and pack.
Ilocos garlic flakes
1. Grind Ilocos garlic flakes by using a blenderizer until desired softness is achieved.
2. Sift and add rice flour.
3. Mix together.
4. Pack using desired bottle.
1. Remove the skin.
2. Separate the cloves.
4. Wash and clean the peeled garlic.
5. Slice the cleaned garlic.
6. Spread the cleaned garlic in a cheesecloth using tray.
7. Insert tray in a mechanical dryer under 60 degree Celsius until fully dried.
8. Pack after drying.
1/2 kg peeled/ sliced garlic
1 tsp garnishing (carrots, red chili, onions)
Brining solution: 1/2 cup salt + 2 cups water
Pickling solution: 1 1/2 cup white vinegar + 1 1/4 cup white sugar + 1 tsp salt
1. Peel the garlic.
2. Clean, slice and wash.
3. Prepare and boil the brine solution until salt is fully dissolved and let it cool.
4. Soak peeled garlic overnight with brine solution.
5. Remove the brine and wash with running water to remove excess salt.
6. Prepare garnishing.
7. Arrange the garlic and garnish it according to the desired bottle.
8. Prepare the pickling solution using a stainless kettle.
9. Add pickling solution into the bottle with garlic filling them not higher than one inch from the top.
10. Sterilize and remove bubbles.
11. Pack and label it properly.
For more information contact or write to:
Wilhelmina P. Castaneda
Dept. of Agriculture I
Ilocos Integrated Agricultural Research Center
Sapilang, Bacnotan, La Union
Tel. #: (072) 719-0188 to 0191
CP #: 09065028036