Pastillas is one of favorite sweets and treats among Filipinos. Another variation of pastillas that you will surely love is the banana pastillas. Aside from Pastillas de leche, ubi pastillas and pastillas de mani, banana pastillas is a healthy candy treat that you will love. This can also be a great business idea for teenagers.
1 kilo (5 cups) mashed ripe bananas (saba or cavendish)
300 gm. (2 1/4 cups) sugar
Butter or margarine
Chopping or kneading board
1. Prepare the mashed bananas as follows: Boil the ripe bananas (saba or cavendish). Peel and slice into 3 cm. thick
2. Grind the sliced bananas until it is mashed, add the sugar and cook over slow fire. Stirring should be done constantly until a clear mixture is obtained with the desired consistency. The mixture should not stick to the sides of the frying pan
3. Transfer the mixture over a kneading board covered with wax paper. Sprinkle small amounts of sugar over the wax paper. Spread the mashed mixture using a rolling pin until it is 1 inch thick.
4. Spread butter and small amounts of sugar over the mixture
5. Make slices of about 4 x 1 cm. Cool and wrap individually
Source: Food and Technology Research and Development Program ITDI, DOST